Search This Blog

Friday, March 1, 2013

Humble pie

Wo, as I go through my email, I came upon a CMDA article that really struck me as I'm struggling to deal with my frustrations here in Sierra Leone:

As a physician, a woman and a Christian committed to serving Christ, I have to ask myself these questions:

  • Am I depending on my own strength and knowledge as I go about my practice every day? ("Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding" [Proverbs 3:5, NIV 1984].) [Oh man, I totally am these days]

  • Do I get impatient or angry at interruptions? (a prideful heart) [Omg, I'm getting impatient and angry all the time these days]

  • Do I criticize my colleagues, in front of staff or in my heart? (more pride) [Sadly, I have been critical and pretty argumentative, definitely prideful]

  • Do I forget whose I am when the day gets stressful and hectic? [Yup. definitely forgetting.  I need to return to what's most important]

  • What have I NOT surrendered to God? [My worries...for sure, my worries.]

The hymn written by Frances Havergal in 1874 about "Take My Life" really describes a surrendered life. It has been a great way for me to search out my heart and take inventory.

  • Take my moments and my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise. Do I seek His direction as to how to use my free time? Do I readily respond to opportunities to serve others even if it requires sacrificing "my time?" 

  • Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee. Before I speak, do I ask the Lord what He wants me to say? Do I use my tongue to intentionally edify and encourage others, bringing healing?  [Nope, I've been pretty mean]

  • Take my intellect and use every power as Thou shalt choose. Am I wasting my mind on worldly pursuits that have no eternal value? Or do I devote my mental capacity to serving Christ and furthering His kingdom?

  • Take my will and make it Thine. Am I stubborn, demanding or controlling? Is there anything God has shown me to be His will that I have been neglecting or refusing to obey? [Probably!...hm...gotta think about this]

I am praying that this exercise has plowed up the soil in your heart as much as it has in mine, and that the Lord uses this to draw you closer to Himself. Your obedience to Him will bring Him glory and you many rich blessings. Really, in giving some things up, we have everything to gain. As Paul said in Philippians 3:8, "…I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord" (ESV). What a thrill!

Anyhow, I really needed a little pick-me-up these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment