Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hospitality and Visiting

I thought I was gonna be super lonely, but I've actually been pretty busy trying to visit people.  I don't really quite understand the culture...  It almost seems like it's an honor to the host for you to visit them.  Because I would go visit someone, and then someone else would say, "Hey!  How come you haven't visited me for 2 days? Do you have a new girlfriend???"  And when I visit, they always feed me, and would almost get upset if I don't eat with them.  It's strange.  So I've been pretty much having dinner with people everyday.  And I feel bad for just eating their food, so I've been cooking with them and bringing some supplies/fruit, etc.  But still...it's weird they seem so eager for me to eat with them.  I really hope they're not hoping I will give some huge donation when I leave.  That's the thing with Sierra Leone...it's hard to know if people are truly your friends or if they just want something from you.  But maybe I'm just cynical...maybe the smaller towns aren't like that.  Anyhow, now I have 3 places I visit pretty much now.  One is the under-5 nurse who used to cook for me, but now I just eat with her family when I go.  Another is this hostel of student nurses, and another is one of the smarter 1st year student nurses who speaks English pretty well and is super talkative.  One of the hostel student nurses is a lot older, and she's kind of a pseudo-mom to me now. Haha.  When I get upset, she listens to me complain. Haha.  

No comments:

Post a Comment