Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Match Day/B-day

When I was just about to find out where I match, my electricity ran out at 5p (1p eastern time), so I had to wait till 7:30p when the electricity went back on.  Those were two of the most anxious hours ever!

Result: Baylor Global Health in Houston!  

I was pretty surprised, and had an ambivalent reaction.  1) Couldn't believe I got into Baylor global health track 2) I was sad I wasn't going to be with KP's family in nice weather Cali and west coast w/my family 3) I wasn't sure how I'd like my new humongous Texan residency class.  4) I wasn't sure I'd like the 1 year abroad anymore because I had kind of a crappy day:

Present I got for my b-day (bad day): 
1) Newborn last night died this morning despite being on ampicillin.  Didn't cry when born, was blue for a long time. 
2) Heart failure patient died because I didn't go see him the day before (I was super sleepy and only looked at his chart, failed to do physical exam on him), so I didn't see that he had gotten more fluid overloaded and needed an increase in lasix or some other heart medicine.  And nobody felt like it was important to tell me that he was getting more swollen or had more difficulty breathing.  Darn it.
3) A lady w/high temperature started having convulsions, also heart went into some sort of arrhythmia/irregular pattern, and she ended up almost dying but got steroid and heart became normal again.  Her family, though, gave up on her, and decided to take her home.  But what was really sad was I hadn't made a strong stand to keep her in the hospital and give a strong enough hope that she would survive.  I didn't realize they were taking her home to prepare for her funeral.  One of the daughters was a nurse, and I thought she had her best interest in mind, but later, a student nurse told me she wanted the mother to die, and had told all the relatives on the phone that her mom had already died.  Sighs....why don't people tell me these things before it's too late????  Now it feels like I sent her off to her death bed.  Ugh.
4) A patient with severely high blood pressure ended up having a stroke 2 days later, I find she's still paralyzed.  Sighs...not a TIA (like a mini/temporary stroke).  And I think I had been distracted/trying to bag mask a kid when they told me she was having stroke-like symptoms...and so I said, ok, aspirin.  And forgot that a white doctor had brought in some thrombolytics a month ago.  Darn it...I need to pay more attention when people come to get me and tell me things.  Darn it.  

So yeah, those were my bad-day presents...

1 comment: