Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Under 5 Clinic, Electrician

I'm taking a break by not being on the ward and just doing under 5 clinic where all the health kids are. Hahaha.  Although it's kind of discouraging because today there were only 2 kids that showed up!  2!  I think patients just don't have the money for transport to get to the hospital.  It's such a difficult problem.  I can't wait to see what the peripheral health unit is like and hopefully see some deliveries.  

I'm still trying to set up the ultrasound machine - get the electricity connected to the room it's in, but the electrician is being super flaky.  I've asked him 3 weeks ago, and he still hasn't set things up.  In fact, I think he lied to me about there being electricity in the room until I check again this past Sunday.  A big part of it is definitely communication, because his English isn't that great, but another is culture.  People here like to tell you they can do things even if they aren't able to or they don't have the time to or don't want to.  I wish he would just tell me if he's not able to do it, but instead he doesn't tell me.  It's a weird cultural thing that I see with the doctor too...and everyone in Sierra Leone.  I talked to my friends working on Plumpy Nut factory, and they have the same issue before.  Sighs.  Even when I was asking him everyday, he would still delay.  And when the midwife and I got on his back about how he kept on delaying even after taking my money for supplies, he got super defense and angry and wouldn't even talk.  It took me a lot of effort to stay calm, and I only got him to set up a later time to talk to me by asking him to be mature and professional.  Hopefully that will continue to work.  This trip has definitely been a major lesson on how to deal with difficult people.

1 comment:

  1. "This trip has definitely been a major lesson on how to deal with difficult people." - Yeah, seems like a good experience if a frustrating one

    ReplyDelete