Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Man Cannot Live on Banana Alone

My staple food is banana sandwich, but now I'm getting more variety with feasting and funny conversations with a few of the students (Rebecca and Marian - picture):
  • We exchanged holiday traditions.  I tried to explain what we do during Halloween, and I'm not sure if they really understood it.  I also said we had St. Patrick's day, and the student exclaimed, "Oh! We have St. Mary's day where we go to church and have festivities."  And I had to explain how on St. Patrick's day people just drink.  There were two interesting holidays she told me about: 
  1. African Children's day: This is when all the kids go march out on the streets and have a festival.  Then they go to different "jobs" - some are lawyers, some are drivers, some are actors, and they get paid a small amount at the end of the day.
  2. Bob Marley's day - celebrated on the day he died.  Apparently this is the day when they "drink and smoke marijuana."  
  • I made an agreement with another student that I'd teach her how to make chinese/american food, and she'll teach me how to make Salone food.  The other day, we made eggplant and garlic! 
  • I tried to explain the concept of chopsticks to her, but I don't think she really understands - I'll have to find two sticks and demonstrate.
  • While we were waiting for the food, she wanted me to sing something, so I just sang Doe, a Deer - on hind sight, that wasn't the easily song to explain.
  •  
Other random thoughts:  
  • Language: There are two languages spoken here: Krio - pidgeon English, which I can understand bits and pieces; and Mende - a completely African language that I've only managed to master "Hello" and "I'm good."  All the students speak Krio and English, but most of the population only speak Mende.  While I usually have a student translate Mende for me, during a brief period, there was only one student who only spoke Krio, so she had to find a random girl outside who speaks Mende.  So I asked questions in English to the student, she said Krio to the random girl, and random girl said Mende to the patient.  It really pretty painful.
  • Secret Society: The public health students were sent home because there are secret society events/inaugurations going on right now and it would be dangerous for them to go out to the villages if they don't belong to the society.  From my understanding, they could get killed. O_o

1 comment:

  1. Chopsticks is a fun story. Hard to picture eating food with sticks

    ReplyDelete