Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

Arriving at Nixon Hospital, Segbwema

Alright!  After a 5 hr drive, we finally arrived at Nixon Hospital, Swebgwema, where I'll be working for the next 3 months.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, given the only information I could find about the hospital was this tiny blurb on the Methodist Church website, and this really old youtube video from around 2005 of this dilapidated building.  Fortunately, when I arrived, there were several new buildings.

My place for the next 3 months! - on the bottom floor.

The faucets and flusher are just for show.  Got to conserve the bucket water during dry season!

The rain water cachement "well" where I'll be getting my water

First they showed me where I was living, and it was huge!  My bedroom here is bigger than my bedroom at home!  Of course, pretty empty.  The bathroom had a toilet, bathtub, and sink - with the faucet and toilet flusher all for show because there's no running water - just a bucket!  I suppose each day I or someone will help me get water from the well outside.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of washing my hand towel in the water...so now all I have left for the rest of the day is soapy water.  Sighs. I'll be smarter next time.
Cassava, beans, chicken, and fish for my first meal at Nixon Hospital
Alright...time to get ready for checking out the surgery suite!


1 comment:

  1. So you need to get water from well? Or need collect rain water?

    ReplyDelete