Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Swing dancing, blood pressure, and random other things

Med school has been a lot of fun, and I think one of the major contributions to that fun is being able to try new things. Just yesterday, I check out ballroom dancing. That day's lesson was swing. Although I've done some swing dancing in undergrad, it was still amusing, and fun to dancing with different people and hear different ways people teach it. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, slow, slow - haha, like what the instructor said, all I need to do is brush my teeth and say that rhythm each morning/night. haha. Of course, I'm still as awkward, stiff and floppy at the same time as ever. I think my shoe kept on slipping off as well. It's nice being a girl - whatever goes wrong, it's always the guy's fault. hehe. Anyhow, it was a fun experience, and I'm looking forward to another night of it some other week.

Other fun experiences, I guess I'm getting into frisbee too. Although my only ability is to run a bit (or a lot), I fail at the upper body part of it all - catching and throwing. But maybe by joining the undergrad club team, I'll get better. Like ballroom dancing, I think it's a nice skill to have - I'm hoping it'll come in handy someday.

My heart rate is 49?!!
Wow, when I got my physical and they said my heart rate was 49, I thought something was wrong. Yesterday we got to go around and checkout our classmate's heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing rate. Wow, I almost feel like a real doctor! The person checking me reported that I had a rate of 48, but then realized she multiplied by 3 instead of 4 (15 sec check) - so it was actually about 64. But strangely, when my neighbor checked it out again, and I did a double check, we both got 48. haha...strange.

We also practiced introducing ourselves to a patient as we entered the room. haha, it's a lot more complicated then I expected. I forgot to ask for permission to enter the room, it's awkward having to wait to purell your hands before you shake the patient's hand, and I got waaaaaay too much purell on my hand so I had to just stand there awkwardly for a long time before I could shake their hand. This other guy got way too much on his hand, and accidentally clapped - so purell foam flew all over the place! That was awesome! Oh ya, I also forgot to say who I was. I'm glad I make things awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment