Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Screening Asian Peeps

Today, instead of studying for my anatomy test that's tomorrow, I decided to spend 5 hours doing a health screening at a Chinese school. Yes! My slight ability to speak in Chinese came in handy! In fact, I asked where this one lady was from in China, she answered my question, and continued talking for at least half an hour about her son who got 3 degrees from SLU, got a law degree, really smart...etc. Oh man, at least it was good practice!

Man, Please Be Okay!:
Holy cow, we were screening for diabetes (blood glucose) and hypertension (blood pressure), and the 4th guy I tested had a blood glucose of 501 mg/dl! Normal fasted level is less than 100 mg/dl, and not fasted is less than 140! Wow. I was getting 104, 120, etc... And then all of a sudden, boom! There was 501 on the glucometer! At first I thought I was reading the glucometer upside down - perhaps it was 105...but no! We tested it again, and it was 498, or something like that... Wow, he didn't seem to show any abnormal symptoms at all either. I'm just afraid I didn't express to him exactly how urgent it was that he sees a doctor right away. Ah...I hope he'll be okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment