Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sports and Activity Dilemma, Being a Windshield

During undergrad, pretty much the thing i played was tennis. Two hours a day, 5 days a week + sometimes having matches, and two seasons (fall and spring). It was a lot of fun and a lot of time commitment. So I thought I'd continue with tennis in med school...

Well, then I realized it was difficult to find people to play with. Sure, there are people to play with, but it's still not the same. No more consistent time to play everyday for a long period of time. I almost miss being emotionally and physically tortured. haha...okay, not really tortured. So things I tried to do...

Tennis with the undergrad:
I contacted undergrad coach to see if I can hit with them. Hm...although the players are no doubt good and have awesome form, practice isn't really as much of a workout as I want it to be. I also feel kind of weird being a hitter and using so much effort that I grunt. Yes, I admit, I grunt.

I'm now trying Ultimate Frizbee (club):
Well, so frisbee seems like something that you can go to a park, find some random people, and just start up (unlike tennis - unless you have skills to pave a court and build a net). So I got convinced by a good friend to go to their practice today. Holy Cow, there must have been 50 people there! Granted it was first day, I did not expect that many people! Well, it was nice finally learning the proper way to throw a frisbee. All my life I have been deceived! Since there were so many people, I didn't really get to play that much...we'll see. Thing is...it conflicts with...

Ballroom dancing:
Oh boy, I signed up for ballroom dancing. But I figured it's also a random skill that might be useful. Who knows when I might be in need of some happy feet. Then I won't need to hesitate, and I can just pull out some swing or salsa skills. Ah...but it conflicts with ultimate practice. What to do, what to do?

Being a Windshield:
I had my first windshield experience. Now I understand the pain of that glass in front of your car. I went running this other day through Forest Park (park near med school). It was nice! I've been running for a total of 3 times so far! Better than when I was at Boston. haha. Well, this time, for some reason, the bugs were extremely excited. The run included a beautiful scenery of Boat House, the Muny (a stadium for the 1904 World Fair), and the Jewel Box (green house), but at the end of our run, I was completely covered with bugs that drowned/died in my sweat or knocked out by the impact of my 130 lb body. It was gross.

I tried to play some basketball and soccer, but I think i suck too much. Ah...why didn't I develop these skills earlier?!!

Job:
Ah, I should get into that soon and earn some money. The reality of being a student...

And of course, there are a whole bunch of volunteering opportunities going on:
STATS: teaching high school kids about HIV/sexual diseases
SPOTS: " " " " " issues of sun/UV/skin cancer
Food Outreach: something I found on my own where you cook for HIV/Cancer patients
CHIPS: I think this is a free clinic?
Saturday something something: another free clinic?
And more...

Still harboring innate premed symptoms, I signed up for a giggilion things and probably spread myself too thin again. Well, exams haven't started yet, so I'm still feeling happy. But then again, I have my first quiz on Thursday. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment