Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

So Sad! :(

The NICU baby I was paired with passed away!  I only got to see him twice and his mother only once.  I definitely could have gone and seen them more, but I forgot or was lazy to change and walk there (even though it was so close and I didn't even have to outside).  I feel kind of guilty, even though I know there was nothing could have done.  It just came as such a shock because it seemed like he was doing really well!  He was eating 3 ml's of food, which surpassed what he was eating before.  His bowl movement was normal too.  It totally took me by surprise.
I found out when one day I called his mother to ask if she was going to be in the NICU later in the day.  However, one of her family members picked up and told me that the baby had passed away earlier in the day.  I was speechless.  I had no idea what to say.  I blurted out a stupid "I'm really sorry."  I didn't know the family member either, so it felt strange lingering on to ask more questions and it seemed like a bad time to explain who I was.  So I apologized again, wished the mother would feel better, and hung up.  I wish I had been better prepared to receive news like that.  I couldn't believe the little guy was gone just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment