Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

51 marathons in 2 yrs?! With a broken hip?! On crutches?!

Alumna runs ran marathons in all 50 states + Washington D.C. and set the record for being the youngest to do that.  When I read that, I thought, she must be 40, or something...maybe a few a year? But I couldn't believe she was an 09 MIT graduate b/c she looked so young in the pictures.  After some research, she turns out to be 22 - running marathons since senior year nearly every weekend! She didn't even start long distance running until senior year of college!  How crazy is that?  More crazy facts:

  • She broke her hip at one point and had to run marathons on crutches for 2 weeks
  • What she eats before races: pizza and beer
  • Typical training: "Saturday and/or Sunday I would run a marathon" + weekdays 3-6 mile/day training + evening training
  • Record was an "accident" - didn't realize there was a record until she was half way done
  • "I try to make my life as normal as possible aside from the fact that I run marathons every weekend."
  • She averaged 3rd place before her hip injury

Here's the interview with her: Morgan Cummings
Here's another article about her: New Record Set

1 comment:

  1. Omg, she qualified for Boston after her 1ST marathon.... that's amazing! I started running the year after we graduated for the same reason as her. But I have yet to run a single marathon...

    ReplyDelete