Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Arrived in lesotho!

After 36 hrs of 4 planes, 3 countries, finally arrived in Lesotho! (Houston-->dc-->accra, ghana-->Johannesburg overnight--> maseru, lesotho). By a stroke of luck, i got placed in business class from dc to Johannesburg bc plane was overbooked. Yay! Miles of leg room, flat bed, 4 course meals...my chair even had a massage option! Probably first and last. Haha.

Annoying thing happened in jo-burg tho- I was told I could only have 1 bag and not the two they had checked in Houston....what?! Why?! I had taken my bags all this way already! Ah well....should be used to this unexpected shelling out of money by now.
View of Lesotho from the plane

Airport. The minivan is a "Combie" - Lesotho version of a very compact bus and crazy drivers

View from outside the Lesotho Mashoeshoe Airport
Thank God I arrived safely in Lesotho though and had no issues finding the person picking me up. Funny when I asked how he recognized me, he said he just knows the BIPAI ppl now.  Haha.
So he took me to the bipai clinic (center of excellence or coe) and met some of the clinic bosses and ppl of influence. Also got 1 minute to get on a computer to quickly send a message to family that I was alive! Woot!
BIPAI COE (center of excellence clinic)

Then we went to get some groceries for the day...but since the place I was staying wasn't really on the way to the grocery store,we got stuff before going to see the place...which was kind of a mistake bc it was definitely lacking a few things. ..like garbage cans, pots, soap, adapters....but whatever. Also cuz it was so new didn't even have the stove connected or dead bolts -which was quickly remedied. Despite all this complaining, all in all it was great :D. New, clean, has clean and hot water, gated community, guard, my own place with 2 bedrooms (come visit!!!! ;P). I was just happy to find some milk. Mmmmmm...milk!  
My house!

Also found out my rent will go towards supporting the Beautiful Gates Orphanage. Yeah! Here's their website: Beautiful Gardens

But no internet yet...and not for a few days so the first few nights I felt really lonely and homesick :'(. Made worse by the fact that I was living several miles from my coworker...so no one to hang out with. Maybe ill make some local friends, but there's a slight fear of venturing out since I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment