Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Sacrificial Claim

Scrubs, my new past-time that I've started in 3rd year to make me not feel too guilty (b/c I'm "learning" at the same time), actually has some pretty profound messages.  Like this past episode I watched: season 1, episode 21 "My Sacrificial Claim":
Everyone has to make sacrifices and make priorities:
  • You might have to give up something you want now for something you've wanted all your life.  In Elliot's case, it was giving up a relationship with a seemingly "perfect" guy for her.  I'm assuming she's giving it up to be the best doctor she can be.  That seems like a perfect definition of a work-a-holic in her case.  Anyhow, I feel bad for Elliot...and even worse for her boyfriend.
  • You might have to give up a bit of safety.  In DJ's case, it was being willing to be around sick people.  I'm surprised he made it through 4 years of medical school and intern year before realizing this fact.  But it's true.  I suppose especially true in pediatrics, when it seems like every fall/winter/spring, the pediatricians get sick.  
  • You give up time for yourself to spend more time with the people you love.  I think this was probably the most important lesson to remember. Going to medical school, I've found that it's so easy to think about myself so much- my education, my exams, my studying, my grades, my rotations, my patients, my career...that I've sometimes lapsed in caring about the people who love me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment