Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dad Stories: Karma

My dad is a funny character.  He's awesome in many ways such as being the fastest (not running - but just in general) person I've ever met - but at the same time, that also means he ends up with many funny stories to tell me whenever I come home to visit:

He was telling me about how he gets angered/judge quickly (tell me about it...), and he was saying how there's this neighbor who's son keeps on riding his motorcycle in the middle of the night at tops speeds causing everyone to wake up.  It's not just one "ZOOM" - he would zoom back and forth in the road in front of our house creating an enormous raucous.  Anyhow, my dad became annoyed at the neighbor, developed pent up anger, and started praying that he would go away.  

Well, one day my dad really needed to get to the construction site he was working on, because the inspector was there and needed to sign off some papers.  However, as he was about to leave, the car wouldn't start (maybe lights were left on overnight?).  We were on good terms with the neighbors across the street from us, so he went to ask them.  But they weren't there, so my dad went to ask another neighbor.  All the while, my dad was avoiding the one neighbor he had developed a resentment against.  Considering the father of the motorcycle boy was mowing his lawn, my dad was extra careful to avoid him while crossing the street to ask the other neighbors.  Unfortunately, none of the neighbors were at home, so my dad reluctantly went over and asked the one neighbor he really resented.  But as he went to the neighbor, my dad found him to be an extremely nice, down-to-earth guy.  The neighbor readily drove his car over to our garage to jump my dad's car.  From then my dad thought of them as awesome neighbors.

But of course, one lesson is never enough.  My dad, despite being very quick and often careless, is a very clean and orderly person.  So naturally, he disapproved of one our neighbors who always has an unkempt front yard.  Well, it's not really unkempt - it's just that the neighbor enjoys fixing cars, so it is often piled up with various parts and such typical of a mechanic.  Anyhow, unsurprisingly, one day my dad needed to get to his construction site again, and his car failed to work.  He luckily found that one particular neighbor available, who was able to fix up his car for that trip.  Not only that, later when he had more time, he pretty much did a tune-up on my dad's car and made it run much better (perhaps that's also why the car failed in the first story?).  My dad found the neighbor to be very friendly and they chatted a while about past lives and stories.  ...And that's how another set of neighbors went from foe to friend.  

1 comment:

  1. dude I want a neighbor who knows how to fix cars :D i think my brake has some issues. anyways, that's so awesome that your dad was able to make friends with the neighbors because his car wasn't working...its cool when good things come out of unfortunate circumstances!

    ReplyDelete