Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Laka Beach! & When It Rains, It Pours!


Laka Beach:
Wow, you know it's been way too long since you've last been to a beach when you forget that waves can be pretty strong and you get completely knocked over and pulled under when trying to go swimming in the ocean. Yup, that's me. What do you expect, the clumsy gene is constitutively expressed. So everyone got a good laugh at it, and now whenever we see a stranger get knocked over/pulled under by a wave, the people I'm staying with call it "pulling a Yi." Perhaps a new discovery or surgical method, but THIS, this is NOT what I want named after me.

Pictured: Baracuda and Rice (yummmm) at Laka Beach post tidal beat-up


International Service at Mercy Ship (hospital on a ship that goes from port to port in Africa):
I remember sitting there and thinking, wow, this is just like a regular bible study in St. Louis where you sing songs and hear someone talk, yet I'm in a country thousands of miles away, surrounded by people I don't know who are from all over the world listening to this guy speaking in a funny accent. No, not in St. Louis anymore.

When it Rains, It Pours:
Holy cow, I've never seen so much rain in my life.  I knew it was rainy season, but I still couldn't believe it when the first storm came.  You remember that day when the tornado came to St. Louis and it rained like it was going to tear the building down? Well, every time it rains, that's what happens.  It's like the sky is a bucket of water and God accidentally tore out the whole bottom.  Sadly, it also means the roads become canyons.

3 comments:

  1. You finally made it to the beach! Awesome ;-) I want to hear more about the rainy season. Does it rain all day? Are there more Mosquitos? Today it stormed in New England - believe it or not, there are some pretty intense summer storms - and all of a sudden, a wall of rain came crashing down and it poured for 15 minutes, so hard that the gutters were like gushing rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! I'm super jealous of the beach part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, the beach was super awesome. When I saw the beach, I just started laughing out of the blue because I couldn't believe I was still in SL. It was like a totally different place. And rain is crazy. yup, just like a river down the drain. Every time it rains at night, it wakes me up, and I'm a heavy sleeper! It's also the lightening/thunder.

    ReplyDelete