Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2009

Medical School: Cutting out the breast and skinning a person

Anatomy started before the first day:
As a typical eager medical student, a few of us decided to venture into the morgue (okay, not really the morgue, just the classroom with 30 some cadavers) to check out our bodies. Well, not really OUR bodies, but the bodies of those people who generously donated their body to science. The three of us were at different tables, and we all wanted to see what our cadavers looked like. The first one was pretty small, but distinct breasts revealed it to be a female. Next one was about the same size, and also seemed to be female. Then we got to mine, and I was thinking "Holy moly! It's huge!" We were sure it must have been some man who probably had an unhealthy diet of some sort.

First day of dissection neared, and once again being the eager medical student, I checked out the morgue again and found descriptions of the body. The person wasn't yet 50, had diabetes, and to my astonishment, was female. ah...very sorry body.

Then there was lecture. Oops. He talked about how we should treat the bodies as our first patients, and how we should be respectful. Boy...I felt bad saying my body was huge. :( hm...I wonder if the person wouldn't have minded me making cadaver jokes. Oh boy, what would medical students say when they see my body when I donate it? Smelly? It's interesting that they shave off their head and bloat their face to make them not so recognizable.

It cut like hot knife through butter:
So we put on our stinky scrubs and goggles, and we, once again eager medical students, pulled back the sheets that covered the bodies. There was a huge pool of cadaver juice (not the kind you want to drink). I made the first incision. But b/c the body had such a thick layer of fat, I didn't know where exactly to start or end b/c I really couldn't feel the bone at all. Lab teammate said go kind of deep b/c skin is probably tough. As we peeled back the skin, it turned out to be about 1 mm thick. oops.

But when we had to remove the fat layer, oh boy, that was maybe 1 to 2 inches thick. Imagine squishing this yellow gooey fat btwn your fingers. Message to all: if anything, please don't eat so much so that the medical student who dissects your future donated body wouldn't have to labor through your thick layer of fat. There are no other reasons to eat healthy.

I was so eager to dissect that I decided to dissect myself:
There is a first for everything right? Well, I got to be the first to cut my finger with my scalpel. Great move, huh? It's tiny, but there's nothing worse then feeling a pinch, hoping you didn't cut yourself, then taking off your glove and finding a drop of blood ooze out of the cut. Hopefully I won't get cadaver disease.

1 comment: