Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Med School: Beginning

Wow, summer came to an end WAAAAAY too quickly:
8/7: fly from Yulin to Beijing (visited Olympic stadiums - so awesome!)
8/8: fly from Beijing to Seattle
8/9: fly from Seattle to St. Louis
8/11: Start medical school orientation

And ...no longer pre-med! woot!

So many people to meet! So many things to buy! Get settled. The dorm I'm living in is called "Olin." So it's pretty nice in general, except for two things:
1) There is wireless everywhere EXCEPT for Olin, which is literally attached to the medical school
2) There are kitchens on every odd floor (yes! I'm on the 7th!), but there is only a refrigerator in the basement and the penthouse (11th floor) - what the heck?!! So there are dish washers in some of the kitchens, but no freakin' fridges? Ahhhhhhh!

Time to get fridge:
Ah...another lesson learned! I found that many students got new fridges from stores that were more than $100, and so I searched on Craig's list. I love Craig's list. I called the number listed, and the first time she said she'd meet me, she turned out to have a doctor's appointment. Next time, she wasn't around. 3rd time, she had lupus, and finally...I managed to get to her on the 4th try.
There were supposed to be fridges that were $50 somewhere nearby, so I asked, and it turned out that those were sold, but there was something for $35 that had a bit of rust on the handle. Being a frugal Chinese, I decided to go for the cheap fridge. And $20 delivery fee wasn't something I wanted to pay, so I asked a friend to help me retrieve the fridge.
Sadly, when we got there, not only did the fridge not fit into the car, but we mistakenly let some rough person try and shove it in the trunk, which was OBVIOUSLY way too small, which ended up scratching the car. And it was a new car. ah!!! Stupidity runs in my blood! Now instead of paying that $20 delivery fee, I get to pay a buttload of money to fix the scratches! Sadness. Lesson learned: don't be a cheap Asian.

WashU is NOT a pedestrian friendly city; conclusion: get a bike:
Craig's list! Yes, I found a bike on Craig's list for $35. Called the guy, said to come right away, and he'd be there for the next 2 hrs. While on the phone, I searched up the bus route, and found it was possible, so I rush out the door to catch the bus, and prepared to ride the bike back. But on the way back, found that the bus stop didn't seem to have the bus number I wanted. Uh oh. I also forgot the directions. So I could only resort to going back to Olin, and attempt to call people who might give me a ride.
On the way back, I saw a car drive out of the Olin parking lot, and saw somebody waving to me. I waved back, not really knowing who it was, and realized he was a first year I had met earlier. Without thinking properly, I thought perhaps they are going my direction! Perhaps they can give me a ride! Being friendly med students, they offered to give me a ride, and as I sat down, I realized I didn't even know the driver. Did an awkward introduction, and they drove me off to get a bike. Very nice people indeed...

My bike is so great that a thief will steal my lock before they steal my bike. Cost of bike: $35; Cost of lock: $30

First time bowling; score: 126

I signed up for a musical: ack!

I played soccer: ball hit me in the face, hard...twice.

I played basketball; I shot at the hoop...zero times.

I went to a bar and had three sips of "Angel on Acid" (tastes like ice cream)...and felt my Asian genes (aka Asian flame) taking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment