Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2017

1 Year Anniversary Thoughts

Well, it's been a year. Boy did time fly. It seemed like it was just a little while ago when we got married! Here are some general thoughts:

*Didn't seem that difficult to adjust to married life given we saw each other nearly every day prior to getting married. Although there were a few things of adjustment such as snoring, alarms, etc. Maybe AB has a different perspective.
*Somehow we simply split chores up among ourselves naturally without needing to designate him or I to do certain things. I like cooking; AB doesn't mind washing dishes; we got a robotic vacuum because we both don't like to vacuum; doing the laundry when our clothing runs out; AB tends to throw out the trash. It helps that we both try to help the other out when we see the other doing chores. So then we often end up doing chores together. Given both of our love languages are quality time, it really helps.
*Occasionally, since we know each other so well, it can be a little difficult not to use the "irritated voice." But AB catches on quickly and asks if I'm in a bad mood, and that helps diffuse irritation or at least remind me to be caring and nice when I speak, even though I know he'll love me no matter what. I've learned that when he doesn't talk, he probably is tired or upset, both of which requires some cool down time.
*Sometimes I do get irrationally upset or anxious sometimes. It helps when AB points it out. I also told him to hug me whenever I'm upset. That helps too.
*It's nice to have lazy days here and there to just sit on the couch and talk.
*Sometimes I wonder when the honeymoon period is gonna run out. Hm...
*We've developed some routines such as asking how each other's days went after work, watching Jimmy Kimmel every weeknight at 10:35pm, grocery shopping on Sunday nights. It's nice to have some regular things to look forward to.
*Financially we're both pretty frugal, so it helps to be on the same page.
*It's been really fun watching AB take care of kids during church. He laughs at the kids, I laugh at him laughing. Haha.
*It's also been fun to do each other's activities: tennis, swimming, baseball, kickball, football. It's really nice to always have a buddy to do everything with.
*Our first big trip together was to China - didn't really go too well given us being ill, the cold weather, some beguiling tour guides, pollution... Our second trip to Italy was massively planned, and went much better. I think we had more realistic expectations of what each other is comfortable doing each day. I generally like to over-pack my schedule, and AB is more a relaxed tourist. With some compromise, we had a great vacation.
*Premarital counseling was really helpful
*I like it when AB sends me messages during work - whether it's just a text about what to do at night, traffic update, or anything.
*We should really finish those marriage books we started.
*It really is the day-to-day that makes married life great. Not so much the extravagant dinners or shows (although those are nice in small bursts), but just the happy thought that I get to see my best friend every day!

Love you sweetie! 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment