Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2016

Post Global Health Year Thoughts

1. What motivations and experiences led you to apply and join the global health residency? I was interested in working global health environment long term, so I wanted to test it out and see if I'd enjoy it.  I had experience in working at a fairly poorly run clinic, so I wanted to see what it was like to work in a place that had a bit more resources and better well run. Maybe in the future even if I don't work in a global health setting, it would be helpful if I go into public health or education. 

2. What was your most meaningful experience during your year abroad and why?I really enjoyed seeing what healthcare could be like in a resources limited setting. It was good to see what components made up a well run clinic. It would be helpful in my future endeavors if I choose to work in a global health setting. I also really enjoyed having continuity with the patients at the COE where I was able to be comfortable with caring for HIV patients. 

3. What advice do you have for future GH residents and other pediatricians who want to do work abroad? What tips would you like to share that knowing would have benefited you at the start of your year?Some days get busy and tough, and it's easy to get down.  So it's important to get to know the staff and other coworkers at the clinic or hospital. People are more willing to work with you and help you if you do simple things like go through the greetings, keep a smile, ask them how their day is doing, including the nurses in your plan, etc. It's not possible to save every child, and you just have to focus on the kids that you were able to help. But also remember what your limitations are and continue to ask for help when you're not sure. 

4. How do you think your experiences abroad will improve your abilities as a clinician in Houston and in other resource-rich settings?Working in Lesotho required me to be much more independent in terms of problem solving and looking up information.  I couldn't just defer to an attending.  It helped me learn what my limits were.  I was more confident to make difficult decisions that required action as opposed to letting things go its course. The experience has also made me more eager to continue learning to increase my fund of knowledge.  I also had more experience with doing research - including coming up with a project, submitting an IRB proposal, gathering data, and data analysis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment