Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

I Delivered a Baby!

So exciting!!! I finally delivered a baby!  Since I was so upset I didn't get to deliver a baby on my ob/gyn rotation, I scheduled to be "on call" for delivering babies over my switch weekend.  And it was totally worth it!  The first baby, I actually didn't make it there on time.  Sighs...I was still snoozing at home.  But then I got to deliver this beautiful baby girl!  So pretty/cute!  Wow, it really amazes me how hard you have to pull on the head to get the shoulders out.  Man.  You'd think they'd get nerve damage from all that pulling - oh wait, sometimes they do.

I actually got to deliver 1/2 of another baby.  Yup, the head came out, and the shoulders were a tad big for the tiny pelvis, so the resident shoved me out of the way and started doing ob magic.  Thankfully, the baby was cooperative and came out fine.  Phew.  It was a messy one, mixed with blood, mucous, and stool.

Man, I thought I had my life figured out.  Thought I'd go into pediatrics.  But now after doing these deliveries, and encountering these awesome residents, it made me reconsider my career path again.  I thought there were so many signs against me doing Ob/Gyn.  But now, I'm wavering again.  Sighs...I think I might have to see how I like surgery before I make my final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment