Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Intros in SL

First 4 Questions Upon Meeting Someone
1) How the body? (aka how are you)
2) What's your name?
3) Are you married?
4) Will you marry me? (Or for the less crass, "Can I have your number"?)

Well, in reality, part 1 goes on for quite a while, including how did you sleep, how is your day, how is your work, for which all the answers are "fine" with the occasional "Tell God Thank you."

After I tell them my name, people without fail repeat the question, "what is YOUR name" because "eee" in Krio means "him." After I convince them that my name is really pronounced "eee," they burst out laughing and comment on what a "fine" name I have. (The issue with having the word "fine" for beautiful, nice, good, alright, okay is that you never really know what they think of something.)

Finally, number 3 and 4 always come almost immediately upon meeting someone. However, I have always been clever to say "I am not married because I am still a student and I have to study hard," which keeps many potential suitors at bay and also keeps most of the population from being surprised why I am an old maid by their standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment