Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Pocket Knife Adventure

I was so excited to travel to Boston this past weekend for PHR conference!  I had so much time to pack, but for some reason, I was COMPLETELY brainless this time.
1) I realized I didn't bring my boarding pass that I specifically used money to print out.
2) I realized I didn't bring my toiletries that included essentials like toothbrush, contact lenses, contact solution/case, etc.
Those two things were relatively ok to forget because I could still print out a boarding pass at the airport, and I could borrow/buy the rest of the stuff I forgot.

But then, I realized that I had forgotten to take out the pocket knife and lighter that I always carry around in my backpack.  Okay, it may seem very insignificant, but it was a very special knife with very special memories.  My dad bought it for me, and it has been with me to Sierra Leone and Nicaragua.  The first two things already got me really flustered, and by the time I found out about my knife, I was kind of in a disarray.  These were the options we came up with on the metro:
1) Find a post office and mail it back to WashU
2) Leave it in a locker pick it up later
3) Check my one and only bag

So we go to the airport and found that the post office was already closed; due to security reasons, airports no longer have lockers; and it takes $20 to check a bag (though the knife was originally $70, I got it for $10).  So what to do?!!!  I even considered randomly going to a random person heading out of the airport and asking if she'd take my knife and I'll get it from her after I get back to St. Louis.  I scratched that idea and my traveling buddy thought I was crazy.  I called my friends to ask for suggestions b/c by that time my brain was not working (I promise when I'm a doctor, it will always work).  They suggested coming to the airport to get it, but I felt bad and decided not to have them come get it.  

Instead, I wandered to an area with very few people, kept on talking on the phone, and just randomly stuck my knife and lighter in a potted plant and buried it in the dirt.  At first I thought I was clever, then I realized there were probably security cameras everywhere.  I got a little worried, and another friend that I called jokingly said the airport security people were probably tracking me down at that very moment.  So being the typical indecisive me, I decided to ask my friends to come and get the knife from the pot.  

I gave very specific instructions, and when I landed, found that they still couldn't find it.  She said she felt weird digging around in a pot with security next to her, which is totally understandable.  :(  Disappointing indeed!  Oh well, I figure I could get another knife elsewhere.  

On the way back, I decided to check out the pot just in case.  My friend said that I didn't really do anything illegal, and if anyone did see anything, they'd probably just think I was weird.  Anyhow, I went to the special pot, and lone and behold - it was there!  I had no idea where my friend was digging before, but there was my knife and lighter!  It was exactly where I had buried it, completely undisturbed.  :D  Great end to a flustering trip!

3 comments:

  1. OMG this plant story is hilarious. I guess next time I do that I'll know what to do...

    Last time (and only time) I flew to O'Hare I accidentally took my swiss army knife through security - it was really small - and I didn't know I had it until much later. I think they missed it because I was so incompetent, having not flown for several years, that I didn't know anything about taking laptop out or taking shoes off or having a water bottle. Anyhow we checked it on the way back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo....haha. ya, i was really flustered and forgot to empty my water bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D awesome! i'm glad you found your keepsakes. shows you can be creative under high pressure..hehhee

    ReplyDelete